Make Like A Tree Comics Forums
The place to discuss comics created by Jerzy Drozd and Sara Turner

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Heroes Con Report!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Make Like A Tree Comics Forums Forum Index -> Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jerzy
nugget boy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:24 am    Post subject: Heroes Con Report! Reply with quote

Well, we're back! And we're better than ever!

Actually, we're pretty much the same. Just more tired and further behind on our hectic schedules.

Anyway, wanna hear how Heroes Con turned out? Of course you do!

Well, let's start off with the table!

Here we are striking the "album cover" pose behind all of our wares. This year Sara made a way awesome File 49 banner to promote the release of the GN. You'll also see some Front mini-posters on the side of the table. We were handing out free copies of the File 49 Chapter One comic to anyone over 15, and for the kids we had free copies of the Make Like A Tree Previews comic (see the Jared sign in front of me? That's where they were).

We're also sporting our avatar shirts, which were one set of uniforms we wore over the weekend.

And here's Sara breaking character. But I'm too cool for that noise.

I forgot to mention that we had a fishbowl of something like 200 buttons that we were giving away (we had a lot of giveaways at this show). The Jared ones disappeared fast, and it was cool to see so many people wearing them later on in the day.

Here's a blurry shot of the floor. We couldn't figure out why, but a handful of creators just didn't show, so there were some empty tables. I hope they're all right.

Another shot of the floor. Dig that crazy cactus!

By my estimate this show was quite a bit bigger than the MoCCA show we attended last year, but a good portion of floor space was allocated for comics retailers. MoCCA was all about the artists and the publishers. I'm not knocking either Heroes Con or MoCCA for that--they're apples and oranges. I'm just trying to say that while the floor space was larger, I'm not sure if the amount of artists was any greater.

Oh, and unlike MoCCA, this show had costumes. Off the top of my head, I can remember seeing a Stormtrooper, two Klingons, Green Arrow, Black Canary, Zatana, Booster Gold, Spider-Man, Clark Kent, and No Face from Spirited Away.

This was one of the cooler moments. Peter Rios of Comic Geek Speak came by our booth and hung out for a while. He interviewed Sara and me for their show (which should be up sometime this week or next). This guy is a walking comics encyclopedia, so I was pretty excited to meet him and just talk geek stuff for a while. And he's even better looking in person!

After this I was ready to go home, or get hit by a bus. It just doesn't get any better than this. I got to meet Dan Mishkin, co-creator and writer of Amethyst, Princess of Gemworld, and Blue Devil, two books which had a profound impact on me when I was a kid. Dan is working on a new book for a project called Actionopolis, which happens to be published by the folks at Komikwerks! It doesn't happen often where you meet a personal hero and he not only lives up to your expectations, but he exceeds them. It was a blast to talk with him about kids' entertainment and storytelling. He even read a few MLAT books and gave us some really great input on them, which I promptly burned into my cerebral cortex so that I'll never forget it.

Bumped into the Antarctic Press guys at the show. That'll teach me to not look at the guest list--I had no idea those guys were there at first. L to R: Rod Espinosa (of Neotopia), David Hutchison, and Wes. Ben Dunn was there, too, but I didn't get back to their table in time to get him in the shot. I had a nice dinner with them on Saturday. I learned a lot during my time at Antarctic Press, so it was cool to finally meet my old boss face to face and catch up on things.

Just down the road from us was Thor Thorvaldson of Graphic Smash's Tales of Marga. Thor also worked at Antarctic Press around the same time I did, so it was a little like a class reunion (only we never met in person, hardly spoke to one another, and...well, it was kinda sorta like that...). Anyway, Thor was a fun guy to talk to.

Talked quite a bit with the guys from Ka-Blam. We've printed a few things through their service, and it's all looked fantastic. Barry Gregory is a really sharp fellow with some great ideas for the future of comics.

And here's another fellow Graphic Smasher, Ursula Vernon of Digger. I didn't get to talk to her for very long, but she was kind enough to let me take her picture.

While walking around, I managed to catch Joe Staton sketching The Hulk for someone. It's incredible to watch a seasoned pro like him work. He just casually threw lines around with his Sharpie, and it quickly took form. Those of you who don't draw--trust me, it's just as amazing to us artists when we see something like that happen.

Speaking of which...

Sara was doing the same thing throughout the show. I tried sketching a bit while I was sitting at the table, but nothing worked for me. Too many distractions. I envy the heck out of artists like Sara who can just shut everyone else out and work.

That's all the photos I got! Maybe Sara can follow this up with some of her own pics.

Overall, I had a great time, both at the show and hanging out afterwards. I met some folks I'd always wanted to meet, and I met some I hadn't expected to, but was glad I did. We put a lot of free books in people's hands, and we sold a few copies of the File 49 graphic novel. That ain't a bad way to spend a weekend!

So, what'd I forget, Sara? Razz
HooveR
Supporting Character

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AWWWWWWWWWESOMMMME.

When you said you had dinner with the Antarctic Guys, did that include Ben Dunn??

"Hoover is my hero. (Kind of)" --Streever
Jerzy
nugget boy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, Ben Dunn was there. We had a really interesting conversation about new ways to get the word out about comics, and about Fred Perry. Perry is still doing the work of six men--and when you consider that he's been doing Gold Digger for 15 years, it makes one want to hook him up to that machine from The Dark Crystal and drain his essence.

Ben also read Silver #s 1 and 2, and his review was: "Absolutely Brilliant". That was kind of nice.

Our interview on Comic Geek Speak is up! If you go to their episodes page, look for episode 153. A warning, though: They interviewed a bunch of people at this show, and not everyone there is aiming for a kid-friendly audience. Some choice words get dropped here and there, so stand warned if you're listening at work or with the kids.
Tom Foolery
I post so, so much more than you.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the coolest thign ever.

I really wish I could have been there. The spaciousness is inviting.

This is awesome, guys!

It's like saturday cartoons all over again. Check it out.
SockPuppet
The very model of a modern mercenary

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, sounds like a lot of fun. I wish I coulda been there too. Crying or Very sad

<Jerzy>Sock--you have a bizarre and somewhat disturbing imagination.
Sara
Cooler than a marble countertop

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually don't have too many more pictures that stray from the ones Jerzy took, but...
Here's another one of our table...all nice and colorful before the convention even started.

Here's Jerzy all pumped...the crowd about to enter.

Another one of the floor. As you can see...there were a lot of kids at this show which was nice. I don't have too much comic convention experience, but apparently all cons aren't kid friendly. I do have to say that most of the kids were VERY polite and quite...while their parents were obviously more excited to be there Very Happy

And this was us playing Opposite Day. See...I'm all "What are you lookin' at?" and Jerzy's all "Rainbows and butterflies".

Overall...i had a really good time! There were so many people there that were so nice. They would come over to your booth and chat forever...and it was just so pleasant. And I had never been to Charlotte before...but now i've got nothing but love for the city. Great time!
Tom Foolery

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding that last photo: I don't believe I have ever seen anyone do the upside down U eyes that one sees in comics.

Until that photo.

So, guys, do you feel your mission was a success? I love that banner, btw. If it ever comes up missing, uhm, it's not because I hired the emrcs or anything.

kaiserin
Likes Kitties

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oooh! I'm so sorry I couldn't make it!

Looks like you guys had a lot of fun. That is an awesome banner. And my reaction to the front posters... when are they going to be in the store!? Awesome!
Jerzy
nugget boy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As to whether we accomplished our mission:

I don't know for sure. I'm bad at that kind of thing. We gave away a ton of comics, stickers, flyers, buttons, and business cards. So we got the word out.

I got to meet one of my personal heroes, and he turned out to be a really nice guy.

So I think it went okay. It's hard to say--you can always think of how it could've gone better. But that's no good. So I'll just say that I had a fun time and I met a lot of cool people. That's enough for me.

As for the Front posters:

I was giving them away with a purchase. So, tell you what: Anyone who has a subscription to The Replacements, a MLAT Club Membership, or even if you've bought one of our print books in the past, email me your snail mail address and I'll send you a poster. I only have something like 30 left, so get 'em while they're in stock.
Tom Foolery

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerzy wrote:
I got to meet one of my personal heroes, and he turned out to be a really nice guy.

Well, that's a seriously cool thing.

As to the rest of it, I would say yes, it was a raging success.

I just wish there were more adjectives around. Laughing

Sara
Cooler than a marble countertop

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite adjective of the weekend= BRILLIANT! Jerzy's= FABULOUS!
Tom Foolery

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's terrific!

Fenris
Livin' in Mt. Haven, Ain't Misbehavin'

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:58 pm    Post subject: It's damn hot over here.... I'm melting!!! Reply with quote

That's spectacular guys! I wish I could have gone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Make Like A Tree Comics Forums Forum Index -> Announcements All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: